Frequently Asked Questions

Are my chats confidential?

​As defined in a 2002 article in the Journal of Professional School Counselling, “confidentiality is a professional’s promise or contract to respect clients’ privacy by not disclosing anything revealed during counselling, except under agreed upon conditions.”

Counsellors are required to call a parent or guardian if a child plans to or has already self-injured (cutting, burning, suicide attempt, etc.), indicates an eating disorder, presents with a possible drug or alcohol addiction, discloses a runaway plan, or demonstrates other dangerous behaviour.

What happens in a counselling session?

At the beginning of counselling, I will explain confidentiality and its limits, and my role.

If working with children, I use toys, games and creative materials to work with a child to help them express their feelings and emotions in a safe therapeutic environment. The sessions are child-led, so the child is able to choose what to play with, what to say, or not say, and how to use the materials available. If the child is an older child or a teenager, then the counselling will be based on the more adult form of talk therapy.

Research suggests that the therapeutic relationship itself is more important for a good outcome than the particular theories the therapist follows. This means that helping you to feel safe, accepted and treated with respect and also being challenged in a positive constructive way will ensure a more productive session.

However, I do employ a range of approaches that I have been trained to use when deciding how to work with you. You may find one approach more appealing than another or find that some approaches are more suited to your particular needs than others.

I work to an open-ended model, which means that we will decide together when to end the counselling relationship.

What can counselling help with?

* Depression

* Anxiety

* Self esteem

* Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

* Getting along with others

* Parents' divorce

* Being a "new kid"

* Studying

* Bullying

* Learning and responsibility

* Death and dying

* Sexual abuse

* Organization

* Drug and alcohol abuse

* Transitions

How do I request an appointment?

You can contact me directly via email.

What if it is an urgent matter?

If I am available, I will do my utmost to see you. If not, please refer to your doctor/hospital for immediate assistance.

What happens if a child needs further specialist support that I can not provide?

If I suspect the presence of a learning, behavioural, or mental health concern, I will typically provide a referral to a specialist in the community. Learning difficulties can be diagnosed by school or educational psychologists or neuropsychologists, and other conditions such as ADHD are generally diagnosed by psychiatrists, physicians, or clinical psychologists in private practice.

How much does it cost?

For one to one and family support, I provide a sliding fee scale; this allows people with limited incomes to pay what is affordable and within their means. The hourly fee for service is determined at the beginning of the initial session, and is based on the client’s annual income and number of dependents in the home.

For schools, the fee will be provided after discussion with the school and it is dependent on the service at the time frame required.